dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, May 24, 2014

hope

Dear Reader,

Gmorning.  How are you?  I am achy. 

Yesterday afternoon at Tower Bridge was great.  I held up my half of a banner that said there's no flag big enough to cover the shame of torturing people.  I handed out some postcards about closing Guantanamo to passersby.  I was brave.

"What that mean?"  someone asked.

Our friend B tried to explain that torturing people is wrong, and flag waving doesn't make it okay.

"Shit, I was in Vietnam," the man said and walked away.

Then I was brave again at the five dollar vegan party where we ate a dinnerlet of Ethiopian food, which was delicious and salty, and talked a little bit to people we know and met someone we didn't.  She was a very nice high school English teacher, and I wanted to talk to her about books, but Ming pulled us away.

Not that I actually read anymore.  I've been reading Never In a Hurry for half a year.  I check out things from the library and return them.  Where has my concentration gone?  Why is it a hundred times easier to write than to read?  Reading books feels like such a commitment.  I read the internet and zines sometimes.  There is hope for me.

Today we march against Monsanto with thousands and thousands of people.  We're going to take light rail so we don't have to worry about parking. 

I'm going to make some buckwheat groats though I have never had them and don't know what condiments to use.  We picked them up at the Davis co-op yesterday. 

I dreamt of holding hands with a friend, singing, and a necklace that looked like mine.  I hope you had such good dreams, Reader.

all love,
Laura-Marie

3 Comments:

  • At May 24, 2014 3:23 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Do you ever listen to audiobooks? I was really into them for a while. It's a relaxing way to read (or, um, listen).

     
  • At May 25, 2014 4:51 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi! I used to listen to audiobooks a long time ago. I read a Jane Austin book like that, my first and only Jane Austin. I liked it, but I don't think I have the technology right now.

    LM

     
  • At May 26, 2014 10:41 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Yeah, I used to listen to them on cassette. ;)

    I have been reading that some libraries have stuff you can borrow to listen to books, so I dunno if that is happening at your local library. This site has streaming audio books for free, which is nice as there's no downloading needed: https://librivox.org/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home