dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, December 11, 2014

vegan toona

We bought some vegan toona at the co-op.  We wanted to try it.  It was something like $4 for a can of it. 

Today I opened it up.  I expected it to look like tuna, but it looked more like cat food.  It's brown.  It's made of pea protein.  It tastes kind of like tuna, kind of like...fake meat.  But it's oily!

So I mixed it with some pretend mayo for toona salad before realizing how oily it was.  I made sandwiches out of it, and I felt like I was eating a lot of it.  Like I should have eaten less just to try it out. 

I was hoping it'd be appropriate for this macaroni salad I liked as a kid, but I don't think so.  No.

So I give it about two stars out of five for underwhelming.

Ming said how the oil leaked out and it didn't hold together.

Oh, we were out of pickles.  They would have improved things.

Ming's rating is "a good attempt."  He says four out of five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home