dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

do the right thing

There are these new Elvis stamps out--I have some--and it makes me get Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" in my head because of that part where they say Elvis was racist and "most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps."  I have it wrong in my head but I just looked it up.

It reminds me of Do the Right Thing and the excitement I felt watching that movie as a teenager.  I don't think I'd like to see it again.  But it influenced me.

It also reminds me of the music I heard my brother play.  I remember "911 Is a Joke" and watching these videos now on youtube it's surreal to see an ad for whatever yuppie thing play beforehand.  They seem so radical and 25 years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home